WHY ISSHINRYU KARATE ?
Isshinryu (One Heart/Mind) was developed By Hanshi Shimabuku, Okinawa’s Grand Master of Shorin-ryu, who devoted his life to the study of karate. He was a master of Goju-ryu; studied Kobayshi-Ryu under famous Master Chotokan Kiyan and under legendary Master Motobu. He then studied the art of Bo and Sai weapons defense and Tee-faa under Okinawa’s most noted instructors. Master Shimabuku combined the best of these styles into Isshinryu, which epitomizes the powerful, lightning-fast techniques that in ancient times enabled the weaponless Okinawans to defeat the sword-wielding Samurai warriors of Japan.
Isshinryu’s main objective is the perfection of one’s self through both physical and mental development. As students learn the art of self-defense, they acquire self-confidence, serenity and the ability to concentrate. Isshinryu karate combines a well-rounded exercise program with some important advantages over other styles:
- Isshinryu kicks and punches are thrown from natural stances, eliminating wasted motions and giving you split-second advantages over opponents using other styles.
- Isshinryu stresses proficiency with both hand and foot techniques, making it a versatile form of karate because you eliminate obvious weak points.
- Isshinryu is a realistic style of karate stressing “close-in” techniques necessary for street fighting” where you haven’t time for elaborate wind-ups of other styles.
- Isshinryu is a sensible form of karate, with snap-punch and snap-kick techniques that permit you to move in and out quickly without committing yourself to a disadvantaged position should you miss or misjudge.
- Isshinryu is more adaptable to the American physique temperament than the other more rigid styles because the Grand Master Shimabuku designed it to follow natural body movements.
- Isshinryu will put you into better physical shape because it provides you with an aggressive exercise program that will improve your muscle tone, suppleness, speed and mind.
- Isshinryu will help you in your job since the mental and physical conditioning provides you with an opportunity to “wind down” from daily tensions and frustrations.